Department of Parks & Recreation
Movie Under the Stars - in April at Liberty Park
Drive up, put down your blankets or lawn chairs, and enjoy a spring evening at the movies under the Madison stars. Like the drive-in movie theaters of the 50’s, Madison’s special events team plans an evening for the entire family. A special movie that appeals to all ages will be shown on a large 15 x 20 foot screen, as movie theater popcorn and drinks are made available to attendees. Activities being promptly at 7 p.m. and the movie starts at dark.
In 2010 we showed two movies. On Thursday, April 15th we showed The Blind Side and Friday, April 16th we showed The Wizard of Oz.
On April 8, 2011 we showed
Toy Story 3
Relay for Life - in April at Liberty Park
About being a community that takes up the fight against cancer.” Relay for life is the American Cancer Society’s signature activity. It offers everyone in our community an opportunity to participate in the fight against cancer. Teams of people camp out at Liberty Park and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Relays are an overnight event, up to 24 hours in length. Teams form from businesses, clubs, families, friends, hospital, churches, schools, and service organizations. Team members share a common purpose - to support the American Cancer Society’s mission.
Swing into Summer - Thursdays in May
Swing Into Summer each Thursday in May at the historic Red Caboose on Main Street
Every spring the City of Madison
swings into summer with the biggest
month-long picnic in the state of
Mississippi. Like “Memphis in May”,
the highlight of this spring
extravaganza is good music and
children’s activities. Family and
friends gather together to spread out
their blankets, unpack their picnic
and enjoy the sounds of local bands.
Located at the Madison Square Center for the Arts next to the historic Red Caboose, residents gather in the heart of Main Street every Thursday in May from 6 – 8 p.m. After ten successful years, Swing Into Summer has become a family tradition.
- Received the 2002 Mississippi Recreation & Parks Association Special Event Award of Merit.
- Received the 2008 Southeast Festivals & Events Kaleidoscope Awards for Best Festival or Event, Best Miscellaneous Printed Material and the Best Promotional Poster.
- Received the 2009 Mississippi Municipal League (MML) City Spirit Award
- 2011 Swing Into Summer
Held on July 4 at Liberty Park
A spectacular fireworks show are the highlights of the annual “Family Fourth Celebration” each year. Held at Madison’s own Liberty Park.
- Received the 2009 Southeast Festivals & Events Kaleidoscope Award for Best Event Photo.
Madison Christmas Parade
The Madison Christmas Parade is held the first Saturday in December
Everyone loves a parade, and Madison’s annual Christmas parade kicks off the holiday season with a flair. Participants from local schools, clubs, and organizations join in the festivities to unite the Madison community in a spirit of joy and fellowship. Each year a Grand Marshal is carefully selected who personifies the standards of Madison’s quality of life. Beautifully decorated streets and the arrival of Santa Claus makes this event one of our family favorites.
The Madison Beautification Committee also sponsors an Easter Egg Hunt and Christmas at Strawberry Park.
Other Awards received by the Parks and Recreation Department include:
- 1998 Mississippi Recreation & Parks Association Special Event Award of Merit for the Down Home Senior Adult Round-Up
- Freedom FEST received the 1999 Mississippi Recreation & Parks Special Event of Merit Award.
- “Making Mississippi Move” Award was presented to Mrs. Jo Luby, Special Events Coordinator, by The Mississippi Municipal Association in 1999
- 2003 Mississippi Recreation & Parks Association Special Event Award of Merit for Great Day in Madison
- 2006 Mississippi Recreation & Parks Association Professional of the Year Award was presented to Mr. Vern Boothe, Director
- Freedom FEST received the 2007 Clarion Ledger Municipal Excellence City Spirit Award.
- Freedom FEST received the 2007 Southeast Festival & Events Kaleidoscope Awards for Best Festival or Event Award, Best T-shirt Award and Best Miscellaneous Printed Materials Award.