The Building and Permit department oversees the distribution of permits for altering the look of a building as well as enforcing the adopted codes for Madison the City.
Madison the City Building and Permit Department is currently rated a Class-4 by the Mississippi State Rating Bureau in both commercial and residential areas. Class 4 is the highest rating given out by the bureau and Madison the City was among the first cities in the state to receive this rating.
All building inspectors for Madison the City are certified through the International Code Council. And all plans for commercial buildings in the city must be stamped by a registered architect.
Building permits are required for the following:
- New residential buildings
- New commercial buildings
- Commercial miscellaneous
- Demolition of a building
- Foundation work
- Gas and Electric permits - issued if the utilities have been off for more than six months
- POD storage
- Rental Property
- Site Grades
Current building codes for Madison the City:
- 2012 International Building Code
- 2012 International Residential Code
- 2012 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2012 International Fire Code
- 2011 National Electric Code
- International Code Council/American National Standard Institute A117.12003 - with amendments