The City of Madison is greatly concerned with development and the way in which it could negatively affect our natural environment. One of the tools that we utilize to address environmental issues is our Stormwater Management Ordinance. This ordinance, adopted in 2005, is based on the Mississippi State model ordinance. Madison is also a CRS (Community Rating System) community. This rating system allows for reduced flood insurance based on criteria set forth by the National Flood Insurance Program. We are required to keep certain records and make information available to the public concerning flood related issues in order to receive a rating. If you are ever asked for an elevation certificate for your property, please check with us first. We may already have one on file. For more information about Floodplain Management please call us at 601-856-7116.
What is Floodplain Management?
Floodplain management is the operation of a community program of corrective and preventative measures for reducing flood damage. These measures take a variety of forms and generally include requirements for zoning, subdivision or building, and special-purpose floodplain ordinances.
A community's agreement to adopt and enforce floodplain management ordinances, particularly with respect to new construction, is an important element in making flood insurance available to home and business owners. Currently over 20,100 communities voluntarily adopt and enforce local floodplain management ordinances that provide flood loss reduction building standards for new and existing development.
- FEMA - Federal Emergency Management Agency
- NFIP - National Flood Insurance Program
- MDEQ - Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality
- ASFPM - Association of State Floodplain Managers
- MSEMA - Mississippi Emergency Management Agency
- 2010 NFIP Compliance Letter
- Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
- Stormwater Management Ordinance
- Elevation Certificate
- Flood Zone Definitions
- Flood Hazard: Check Before You Buy
- About The Mandatory Purchase of Flood Insurance Requirement
- Current Madison Floodplain Map
- Above the Flood: Elevating Your Floodprone House, FEMA-347 (2000)
- Answers to Questions About the National Flood Insurance Program, F-084 (2011)
- Coastal Construction Manual, FEMA-P-55, (2011) Volume 1
- Coastal Construction Manual, FEMA-P-55, (2011) Volume 2
- Elevated Residential Structures, FEMA-54 (1984)
- Protecting Manufactured Homes from Floods and Other Hazards, FEMA P-85 (2009)
- Mitigation of Flood and Erosion Damage to Residential Buildings in Coastal Areas, FEMA257 (1994)
- Protecting Building Utilities From Flood Damage, FEMA-P-348 (1999)
- Protecting Floodplain Resources, FEMA-268 (1996)
- Reducing Damage from Localized Flooding, FEMA 511 (2005)