The City of Madison contracts with Waste Management to haul away trash and recycling. Trash is picked up twice a week and recycling once a week. Contact Madison Public Works at 601-856-8958 or Waste Management at 601-922-9647 with questions.
Scheduled Garbage Service:
Monday/Thursday -- West of I-55 to city limits, Ashton Park Subdivision and Fontanelle
Tuesday/Friday -- East of I-55 to city limits
Scheduled Recycle Service:
Monday - Area west of I-55 and north/east of Hwy. 463
Tuesday - Area east of I-55 to Hwy. 51 (includes Hwy. 51); St. Augustine and area south to city limits
Thursday - Area west of I-55 and south/west of Hwy. 463 (includes Hwy. 463)
Friday - Area east of Hwy. 51 and north of St. Augustine Drive to city limits
Recycling bins are available at the Denson Robinson Public Services Complex, 1239 Highway 51.
- All garbage needs to be in bags or containers – no more than 75 pounds each – and by the curb by 7 a.m. on collection days.
- No collections on New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas. Collections will be made on the following next regularly scheduled day.
- Waste Management does not collect hazardous waste. Empty dried-out paint cans, without lids, can be placed beside garbage cans. Contact the Jackson Environmental Service Center (601) 960-000 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., for information on the disposal of household hazardous waste.
- Waste Management will pick up large appliances (stoves, dishwashers, washers, dryers), furniture and mattresses at no charge. Call the customer service department at (601) 922-9647 to schedule pick up of these items. Items, like refrigerators, air conditioners and freezers, must have a certificate stating Freon has been removed by a certified repairman before Waste Management will pick up these items.
- No construction debris, carpeting and/or building materials will be picked up.
- Leaves, trimmings and pine straw need to be tied up in bags, weighing no more than 75 pounds each.
- Tree branches must be no longer then six feet long or bigger than 10 inches in diameter. This yard waste needs to be placed on the curb by the trash.
- A professional landscaper or tree service needs to haul all debris.
- City of Madison provides a chipper truck to assist homeowners in preparing yard waste. It can take up to six weeks for the city truck to complete a full run through the city.
- Waste management picks up cardboard, magazines, office paper, brown paper bags, newspapers, flyers, paperboard, cardboard, dairy and juice containers, junk mail, phonebooks, plastic bottles & containers, aluminum cans, aluminum foil, pie tins and tin or steel cans. Glass is not picked up.
- Crush all plastic containers, aluminum and metal cans. Flatten cardboard. Remove all food waste.