The City of Madison Police Department
is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The City of Madison Police Department offers several career opportunities for civilians. These include the position of police dispatcher, court/records clerk, animal control worker, secretarial positions as well as custodial/grounds keeper jobs.
As a civilian employee of the Madison Police Department you will be eligible to participate in a variety of city offered benefits. These include:
- Insurance - Health and life insurance are paid by the employer. Family members may be added to the health insurance program at a group rate.
- Holidays - Employees are given 10 scheduled paid holidays per year. Vacation and paid sick leave is accrued at a rate of one day per month.
- Military Leave - Employees who are military reservists may receive up to 15 days of paid military leave per year.
- Retirement - Employees participate in the State of Mississippi Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). The city and employee contribute to the retirement plan.
- Your Pay - Salary levels are competitive and are based on the results of periodic salary adjustments. Salary levels are also dependent upon the job position within the Department.
Civilian employees receive on the job training from supervisors and seasoned, veteran employees. Civilian employees may also receive periodic in-service training relative to their specific job duties.
The civilian employment application process consists of:
- Completed Written Application
- Background Investigation
- Interview with Department Staff and/or Chief of Police
The following qualifications/conditions are required to be offered employment:
- No criminal record
- At least 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
- Possession of a current/valid driver's license
- No convictions for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or leaving the scene of an accident
- No tattoos which are visible while wearing a Department authorized uniform or business attire
- No issues of moral turpitude
- Honorable discharge from the armed forces, if applicable
- Successful completion of the application process
Current AVAILABLE civilian job opportunities: None
DOWNLOAD the civilian application packet. (PDF)
Applications may also be obtained from the Madison Police Department located at 2001 Main Street in Madison, MS. Completed applications must be returned to the Administrative Services Division. If you have questions regarding the application/employment process you may contact the Administrative Services Division at 601.856.6111.