The City of Madison Police Department
is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Not Just a Job - A CAREER
The City of Madison Police Department offers a challenging and rewarding future for those individuals interested in a law enforcement career as a police officer.
As a police officer with the Madison Police Department you will be eligible to participate in a variety of city offered benefits. These include:
- Insurance - Health and life insurance are paid by the employer. Family members may be added to the health insurance program at a group rate.
- Holidays - Employees are given 10 scheduled paid holidays per year. Vacation and paid sick leave is accrued at a rate of one day per month.
- Military Leave - Officers who are military reservists may receive up to 15 days of paid military leave per year.
- Retirement - Officers participate in the State of Mississippi Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). The city and officer contribute to the retirement plan.
- Your Pay - Salary levels are competitive and are based on the results of periodic salary adjustments. Salary levels are also dependent upon officers' rank within the Department.
Police recruits are normally assigned to the Patrol Division where field training officers work individually with new officers, instructing them in all aspects of the law enforcement profession. All officers must successfully complete a state certified criminal justice police academy. Continuing in-service training is provided to all officers throughout their career with the Department.
After a training and probationary period officers may choose to compete for any of the following occupational specialties as vacancies occur:
- Criminal Investigations
- Crime Prevention
- Administrative Services
- Special Response Team (SRT)
- Traffic Enforcement Unit
Other special assignments may include the Honor Guard, Underwater Recovery Unit and Disaster Response Team.
Applications are available at the Madison Police Department located at 2001 Main Street in Madison, MS. All applications must be completed and returned to the Administrative Services Division. The application process consists of:
- Written Job Application & Online Electronic Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ)
- Comprehensive Background Investigation
- Oral Interview Board
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination and Drug Screening
The following qualifications/conditions are required to be offered employment:
- No criminal record
- At least 21 years of age
- High School Diploma or GED and at least 60 college semester hours or an associates degree
- Possession of a current/valid driver's license
- No convictions for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or leaving the scene of an accident
- No tattoos which are visible while wearing the Department authorized uniform
- No issues of moral turpitude
- Honorable discharge from the armed forces if applicable
- Successful completion of the application process
The Madison Police Department is currently hiring for the position of Police Officer.
DOWNLOAD the sworn law enforcement application packet. (PDF)
Applications may also be obtained from the Madison Police Department located at 2001 Main Street in Madison, MS. Completed applications must be returned to the Administrative Services Division. If you have questions regarding the application/employment process you may contact the Administrative Services Division at 601.856.6111.